Saturday, February 27, 2010

Opening Night

Opening night is always a bit nerve-wracking. After weeks of rehearsals, set building, line memorizing, costume adjustments, directing, publicizing, and much more, the biggest thing on most people's mind is "Will we have an audience?"

Comedian Bob Newhart said in his biography that comedians don't discuss their great shows. They discuss the hecklers or the dead audiences. This seems to be the same at our community theatre. Forget the sell out shows. Remember that time we only had four people in the audience? Remember the Sunday matinee audience that was so quiet we thought they were all asleep?

Proof is the show that comes foremost to my mind. It was one of our worst attended shows. Forgetting that my husband was one of four actors in the show, it truly was one of the best ever shows at NCTC. It was funny, surprising, and an awesome story. The set was amazing (and award-winning!). How many times do you see a set with a genuine sod lawn? Not very often...director Jeff Allen had to water it every night and yes, it did grow during the run of the show. Fortunately mowing wasn't necessary.

Since I love attending shows, I can honestly say that there are ones that I don't think I'm going to like. Proof again comes to mind. I am usually wrong. Proof, again, comes to mind. Community theatre at NCTC never disappoints me. Our actors, sets -- there is always something new and interesting.

Our patrons often tell me they never see a bad show at NCTC. Even if the content doesn't sound like a show you want to see, come anyway. Odds are you're going to enjoy the acting, set, costumes, and most likely the story after all. I've seen hundreds of shows and NCTC has consistently proven to me that you get your money's worth, and then some.

Imagine if all our patrons came to every show. Then the actors will only be wondering if there will be seats for everyone. How wonderful that would be!

2 comments:

LuckyLady said...

I enjoyed Proof very much. This last show "And Baby Makes Seven" was strange. The actors were very good but the story itself was strange. I am a season ticket holder and will be there for every show on the first Sunday Matinee. I bring my grands to the kids stuff. That is how you get them interested in Theatre - which I hope will be a life long enjoyment for them.

dianneo said...

I think the story was strange too, but the acting was amazing. I agree with you about how to make children love the theatre. Bring them often!